The following strategy is the one mostly used on bug triaging among the kde packagers:
- Try to reproduce. Don't use more than 5 minutes in trying to understand what submitter means
- If it is reproducible, fix it in the kde packaging, if it is packaging bug. Report it upstream if it is upstream bug. Write a patch if it is appropriate.
- If it is unreproducible, ask the submitter for more info about how to reproduce and a step by step guide. Tag the bug unreproducible and moreinfo
- If it contains a useless backtrace, ask submitter to provide a better backtrace by installing relevant -dbg packages
- Wait for submitter to reply. Repeat the last steps with submitter until it is clear and reproducible
- If no response from submitter, close the bug after approx. 4 weeks
The most important steps were 1) remember to tag +moreinfo unreproducible when asking for moreinfo and 2) remember to mark the bug as forwarded.
Finding open bugs
The QA package overview page provides an easy way of reviewing open bugs
Bug tagging and forwarding
Bug tagging is done by mails to control. When a comment is needed, it can be in the same mail, just remember to email the right people. The following is a example of a mail describing who to mail (the 3 To: lines) and the content of the mail (The rest of the mail starting from tag)
To: firstname.lastname@example.org To: email@example.com To: firstname.lastname@example.org tag 1234 +moreinfo unreproducible thanks Hi! I have tried to reproduce your bug with the help of your instructions. I am unfortunately not able to reproduce it. Does it still apply? If yes, please provide detailed steps on how to reproduce. /Sune
Someones from the kde team will try to go over the moreinfo bugs regularily and either close them or remove the moreinfo-tag
A bug is normally versioned closed. That way, the bugs can be tracked thru the different distributions. It is importaint that the version a bug is closed in is a version that has existed in debian.
Moreinfo-bugs are closed after 4 weeks with out more info from submitter. The list of bugs tagged moreinfo is here
A bug is closed by a mail to email@example.com with Version: 4:1.3.4-6 as first line. Then a empty line and finally a explanation why the bug is closed.
To: firstname.lastname@example.org Version: 4:3.5.0-3 This bug is fixed half year ago upstream in http://bugs.upstream/37489 The fix have made debian long time ago. Closing this bug. /Sune
Happy bug closing!
Links to BTS
This is a attempt to try to group the bugs in sections of relevance - or just in smaller sections. A package like konqueror has many different functions and not all people use all of these functions.
Some links are to source packages, other pages are to binary packages and then again some to only parts of a binary package.
The third level is manually tagged so it might be inaccurate.
- Bugs in kdepim
- Bugs in kdebase
- Bugs in kdenetwork
Some bugs needs something special to be reproduced (and fixed). These are tagged manually as well.